Centre for Applied Research
Advancing justice and public safety through applied research
The Centre for Applied Research (CAR) supports the JIBC vision of being a "world leader in justice and public safety education and research" through an integrated program of work with a pan-institute focus and mission, including strategic and operational objectives as we move forward to build research capacity and leadership.
The Centre for Applied Research has a vision of establishing the Justice Institute of British Columbia as the lead justice and public safety research institution in Canada, helping keep communities safe through an active applied research agenda engaging first responders, first receivers, practitioners, policy makers, stakeholders and services users.
The Centre for Applied Research achieves this vision by developing new knowledge in emerging disciplines that informs best practice and public policy, enhances justice and public safety curriculum, and leverages learning technologies and methodologies and increases public awareness.
The Centre for Applied Research is dedicated to advancing justice and public safety through the scholarship of discovery, application, integration, teaching, and service.
- Create internal capacity to contribute to society through scholarship (framed as discovery, application, integration, teaching and service)
- Promote student-led research is important for student learning, student success, fostering a partnership with external agencies, and the development of a research culture.
- Promote educational research focused on curriculum development and assessment, and implementation/evaluation of teaching and learning technologies and methods (e.g. simulation, distributed learning, experiential learning)
- Encourage cross-disciplinary initiatives through partnerships with stakeholders and industry.
- Conduct exploratory research focused on social, justice, and public safety issues that require action from the community and/or government (eg. procedural, policy, services)
- Develop, evaluate, and commercialize justice and public safety processes and products, such as software training tools or field analysis tools.
Last updated November 9, 2017