Gain an international education at Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC). We are Canada’s leading public safety educator with a mission to develop dynamic justice and public safety professionals through its exceptional applied education, training and research.
Be the one
Studying in Canada
Gaining transferable skills
Completing an internationally recognized education
Welcome to Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC), a public post-secondary institution that is a trusted leader in public safety education, training and applied research.
International students and organizations from more than 40 countries and territories have benefited from the customized courses and academic programs the Institute offers across Canada and around the world. Many of JIBC's courses and programs are accredited to international standards, allowing our graduates to apply their education throughout the world.
Top 5 reasons to choose JIBC:
1. Study in one of the world’s best places to live, work and play
Canada, and Greater Vancouver specifically, has consistently been ranked as one of the best places to live. A high standard of living, beautiful natural environment, diverse multicultural community, efficient transportation system, stable political environment and economy all contribute to Canada’s inviting global status.
2. Gain transferable skills to excel in your career
An education at JIBC focuses on experiential learning. That means students gain important skills through hands-on and interactive activities and discussions. After completion of any JIBC certificate, diploma, bachelor's degree or graduate certificate, JIBC graduates have developed important transferable skills such as critical thinking, teamwork, self-learning, and the ability to resolve issues and problems. JIBC graduates have consistently said that their course or program helped them develop the skills they needed, with nine out of 10 students saying they were satisfied or very satisfied with their education from JIBC (DASCO Survey 2016).
3. Be mentored by respected experts in their field
Each JIBC instructor has a passion for teaching, and are experts in their field of expertise, usually with decades of experience. Many instructors are leaders and active in their profession, which provides students a unique opportunity to learn about the latest best practices in their respective areas of expertise. Visit our Instructor Profiles page to find out more about the depth and breadth of our seasoned faculty at JIBC, many of whom are leading practitioners in their field.
4. Complete an internationally recognized program
All of JIBC’s programs meet the standards set by the Province of British Columbia’s Education Quality Assurance (EQA) standard that aims to ensure that students receive quality learning experiences and have certain rights and protections. Many JIBC programs and courses are also accredited by national and international accreditation bodies. For example, JIBC’s Primary Care Paramedic Certificate program is accredited by the Canadian Medical Association. JIBC’s firefighting courses in many Fire & Safety programs are accredited to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) and the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (ProBoard).
5. Obtain leading-edge academic credentials in public and community safety
At JIBC, students have the opportunity to gain the knowledge, skills and competencies they need to be effective public and community safety professionals. As public and community safety needs evolve, JIBC has continued to work with its stakeholders and partners to update its offerings and provide the education and training that contributes to the life-long learning and long-term success of its students and clients.
International students can apply for a number of long-term academic programs offered from JIBC:
International Tuition ($CAD)*
Primary Care Paramedic Certificate (plus Emergency Medical Responder Certificate)
April 30, September 30
2 years (online)
September, January, May
April 30, September 30, February 28
4 years (online)
September, January, May
April 30, September 30, February 28
* Tuition is accurate to March 31, 2018 and does not include additional costs such as textbook costs, equipment rental costs if applicable, accommodation, living expenses, medical insurance or travel/transportation costs.
- Research which JIBC Program you are interested in completing.
- Determine if you meet the Admissions and English Proficiency requirements for JIBC, which is described in JIBC’s Admissions Policy.
- Once you have selected the JIBC program you are interested in applying for, review the application deadline for your program.
- Complete your Application via EducationPlannerBC.
- Submit all the necessary documentation such as high school and/or post-secondary transcripts, and English Proficiency Test Results, to the JIBC Registrar’s Office as soon as possible. The Registrar’s Office will provide you with the full list of documents required.
- After the application deadline, await for a response from JIBC to confirm whether you are accepted into the program.
- Once you have received the Offer of Admission Letter, you should confirm in writing that you will accept the offer to join the program and also pay by the stated deadline a non-refundable Commitment Fee that reserves your seat in the program.
- As soon as you have paid your Commitment Fee, you should apply for your Canadian Study Permit as soon as possible. Depending on your country of origin, the time it takes to obtain a study permit can be lengthy (from several weeks to a few months).
- In addition to booking your flights to Vancouver, Canada, you should also be arranging where you will live while you complete your studies.
- Once you arrive, you should set up any necessary banking accounts, health insurance, and other personal documentation you will need while in Canada. The JIBC Office of International Affairs can help support you while you are studying at JIBC.
English Proficiency Requirements:
The language of instruction at JIBC is English. All international students are required to meet or exceed the English language requirements for all certificate, diploma, degree and graduate certificate programs offered at the Institute. Students should be familiar with these minimum requirements, which are detailed in JIBC's Admissions Policy.
International Required Documents for High School Graduation:
CHINA: Verification reports for Huikao or Xueye Shuiping Ceshi (General Education Examination) to be sent directly to JIBC from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center and official transcripts to be sent directly from the issuing high school.
HONG KONG: Hong Kong Advanced Level Certificate (HKALE) results with Graduation Statement OR Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) OR Students also have the option of providing an official high school transcript with Graduation Statement. Examination results must be sent directly from the Hong Kong Examination and Assessment Authority (HKEAA). Transcripts must be sent directly from the high school.
MACAU: Senior Secondary Certificate to be sent directly to JIBC from the institution attended
JAPAN: Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho (Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate) to be sent directly to JIBC.
SINGAPORE: Transcripts can be evaluated to meet the English Proficiency Requirement. Singapore Cambridge Advanced Level General Certificate of Education; results should be sent directly to JIBC from the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board
TAIWAN: High School Certificate of Graduation and transcripts to be sent directly to JIBC from the issuing institution.
INDIA: One of Indian Senior School Certificate (ISC), Intermediate Certificate, Higher School Certificate, Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) OR All India Senior School Certificate to be sent directly to JIBC from the appropriate examining authority.
SAUDI ARABIA: Tawjihiyah (General Secondary Education Certificate) showing last 3 years to be sealed and sent directly to JIBC by the Regional Directorate of the Ministry of Education.
Study Permit Information:
Once students have received their formal acceptance letter and have paid their Committment Fee, they should immediately apply for the necessary study permit and other travel documentation. This can include:
- A Study Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- All students studying for longer than six months are required to apply for a study permit.
- Click here for more information about Canadian study permits.
- Click here to apply for your study permit.
- An Electronic Travel Authorization
- All visa-exempt foreign nationals (except U.S. citizens and certain other small groups) travelling to, or transiting through, Canada by air are to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA).
- Click here for details about an eTA and how to apply for one.
For more information about what you need prior to your arrival in Canada, please visit the EduCanadaPre-departure Guide for International Students or the WelcomeBC website.
Once students have received an acceptance letter and paid their Committment Fee, they should begin arranging their housing and living arrangements for the duration of their JIBC program.
JIBC currently does not offer on-campus housing, so students need to make their own housing arrangements. There are various options available to Canadian and international students.
Visit the JIBC Housing & Hotels webpage for local housing options including short and long-term homestay options where host families provide room and board and additional home support.
Additional things to consider about living in Canada include:
- Transportation options
- Banking requirements
- Mandatory Health Insurance registration
- All international students who plan to stay in Britsh Columbia for more tha six months are required to enroll in the British Columbia Medical Services Plan (BCMSP). Please see the BCMSP website for detailed information.
- Canadian tax filing requirements
- International students are required to determine their income tax status for the time they are living in Canada. Visit the Canada Revenue Agency for international students for details.
JIBC offers a number of certificate programs that can be completed within a year:
- Associate Certificate in Conflict Coaching
- Associate Certificate in Leadership & Conflict Resolution
- Certificate in Applied Leadership
- Certificate in Conflict Resolution: Mediation/Third-Party Intervention or Negotiation
- Critical Incident Stress Management Certificate
- Emergency Management Certificate
- Emergency Management Exercise Design Certificate
- Emergency Medical Responder
- Family Mediation Certificate
- Fire Fighting Technologies Certificate
- Investigation & Enforcement Skills Certificate
- Substance Use Certificate
JIBC also offers customized short-term study tours for student groups looking to add an international perspective to their education. Study tours can be arranged for specific areas of study, or in a customized interdisciplinary program. Areas of study include:
- Counselling and community safety
- Conflict resolution and leadership
- Corrections and court administration
- Driver education and road safety
- Emergency management
- Fire & rescue
- Health sciences
- Intelligence analysis
- Law enforcement, threat management and investigation skills
For more than 25 years, JIBC has been the trusted leader in contract & customized training for justice and public safety organizations.
JIBC continues to expand its international education partnerships with organizations and post-secondary institutions around the world. For a list of existing institutional relationships, please visit the Educational Partnerships webpage.
In addition to expanding international student exchange opportunities, JIBC offers customized contract training to meet our clients’ diverse and unique training needs. JIBC conducts training with government agencies and organizations across Canada, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, China, the United States, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, and Hong Kong. JIBC delivers training anywhere in the world or international students can study at one of our campuses.
For more information, visit JIBC’s customized contract training webpage or view our International Education and Professional Training guide.
For more information
Contact the JIBC Office of International Affairs
JIBC Office of International Affairs
715 McBride Boulevard
New Westminster BC V3L 5T4
Last updated January 12, 2019